The highest security jail where the disgraced lawyer will be held in protective custody is located on Redemption Way in McCormick, Georgia, some 40 miles north of Augusta.
Because of his notoriety, the South Carolina Department of Corrections stated in March that Murdaugh, 54, had been put in a specialized facility.
“Inmates in this unit have validated protective concerns and are placed in a specialized unit to separate them from the general population,” the Department of Corrections stated in a statement announcing Murdaugh’s relocation. “Their location will not be disclosed for safety and security reasons.”
According to Fox News, Murdaugh is being held away from the general public in an 8ft by 10ft cell with his own bed, toilet, and sink.
The jail itself has a capacity of 1,200 convicts, including 28 in the protected section.
Murdaugh was sentenced to life in jail last month after being convicted of murdering and shooting his wife Maggie, 52, and son Paul, 22, in June 2021.
According to the court, he perpetrated the killings in order to divert attention away from his suspected theft of roughly $9 million from customers and his prominent family law practice.
He is scheduled to return to court on April 21 for a status hearing on 99 accusations of financial offenses.
Murdaugh has received a deluge of heartfelt emails from adoring fans since beginning his two life sentences for the murders.
FITSNews received jail paperwork that indicated more than 30 texts sent by 16 different admirers in only 15 days last month.
The first communication arrived at the Kirkland Correctional Institution on March 6, only four days after Murdaugh was convicted of the gruesome 7 June 2021 homicides of Maggie and Paul in Islandton, South Carolina.
- A Boat Accident, Murders & More: Everything You Need To Know About The Alex Murdaugh Murders Story
- Murdaugh Murder SAGA: Take a look at the main characters
- See How Customers Revealed Murdaugh Auction Items on the Internet
- Alex Murdaugh moved to 8-by-10 cell in protective custody unit, South Carolina prison official says
- Stephen Smith’s Body Exhumed and Given Second Autopsy, Says Attorney
- Alex Murdaugh will face a life term for murdering his wife, and his boy is in safe care
- Alex Murdaugh moved to SC maximum security, officials say